The Hondamatic is extremely efficient, with operating efficiencies ranging from 75-81 percent in full-reduction mode and from 87-92 percent when input and output speeds are the same (1:1 ratio). Versatile rider controls provide a shift lever to select Drive, Low, Neutral, and Reverse.
The Hondamatic uses multi-filtered (one large-capacity filter and three strainers) engine oil as hydraulic fluid, simplifying maintenance and ensuring an adequate oil supply in all operating conditions.
- Liquid-cooling provides consistent engine operating temperature in extreme conditions for maximum power output and long engine life.
- Camshaft is located adjacent to the cylinder head, reducing engine height. Together with the external engine-oil tank, engine height is further reduced for a low centre of gravity and excellent handling.
- Four-valve cylinder head utilises two short pushrods to provide a broad powerband for optimum performance and engine efficiency.
- Unique dry-sump oiling system attaches the oil tank to the front of the engine cases, lowering engine height and allowing optimum engine placement for excellent ground clearance and superb handling.
- Standard high-flow oil cooler assures optimal engine lubrication under difficult operating conditions.
- The multiple scavenging oil system utilizes an oil pump with three sintered steel rotors (one for feed, two for scavenge) to provide a stable oil supply in diverse riding conditions.
- Unique temperature indicator uses two sensors to monitor both oil and coolant temperature.
- High-capacity coolant radiator is rated at 17.2 kW for efficient engine cooling in extreme operating conditions.
- Compact, flat-shaped radiator fan motor is lightweight and contributes to optimum engine placement.
- Rubber-cushion engine mounting and gear-driven counterbalancer reduce vibration.
- Integral electric carburetor heater system improves driveability and ensures smooth operation in cold conditions.
- Convenient electric starter, with auxiliary recoil starter and an automatic internal decompression system.
- Solid-state CD ignition with electronic advance for excellent performance and reliability.
- Stainless steel exhaust system provides superior corrosion resistance.
- Closed crankcase vent system safeguards against engine oil contamination.
- TraxLok is easily engaged by pushing a switch on the right handlebar. An electromagnetic mechanical clutch unit (EMCU) located on the centre of the propeller shaft engages 4WD with a quiet two-way roller clutch. Unlike mechanical designs, TraxLok ensures smooth operation by employing a magnetic switching mechanism that engages when front and rear wheel speeds vary by less than 9 kph.
- Hondamatic transmission is a continuously variable hydro-mechanical design that eliminates belts altogether. It is compact, quiet, maintenance-free and very rugged. The Hondamatic features true engine braking, unlike conventional belt-driven designs.
- Dash-mounted knob switches to one of three electronic shifting programs: D1 for maximum performance, D2 for maximum torque, and ESP(r), Honda's exclusive Electric Shift Program. D1 and D2 modes provide continuously variable transmission output; ESP allows the rider to "shift" the Hondamatic with the touch of a thumb using two push-buttons mounted on the left handlebar.
- Rugged frame and suspension provide 190 mm of ground clearance.
- Steering mechanism design features light effort and a tight turning radius of 3.29m.
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension uses premium shock absorbers to provide 170 mm of suspension travel for a plush, comfortable ride.
- Steel swingarm and dual rear shock absorbers provide 170 mm of suspension travel for superb comfort and compliance.
- Attractive, large-diameter 12-inch aluminium wheels reduce unsprung weight for excellent ride and handling.
- Tough, large-diameter 25 x 8-12 front, 25 x 10-12 rear tyres for precise handling.
- Front hydraulic 180mm disc brakes and sealed rear mechanical drum.
- Engine design produces low emissions and meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Multi-function LCD digital instrumentation is compact, tough and waterproof, featuring large readouts for Hondamatic transmission modes, gear selector position, speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer, resettable tripmeter and hourmeter/clock. Instrument housing includes LED lights for reverse, neutral, temperature warning indicator and front differential indicator.
- Waterproof accessory socket provides 12-volt, 12-amp power with a built-in temperature-type fuse.
- Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank with 15.9 litres capacity, including 3 litre reserve.
- Digital fuel gauge.
- Reusable foam air filter.
- USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
- Powerful, 370-watt AC generator.
- Tough, 12-amp-hour maintenance-free battery.
- Triple headlight system with single 45-watt upper light and dual 30-watt lower lights with multi-reflector lenses for optimal light distribution plus a 21-watt stop and taillight.
- Large front and rear cargo racks are rated at 30 and 60 kilograms respectively.
- Heavy-duty trailer hitch with towing capacity of 385 kilograms.
- Total maximum carrying capacity with rider, accessories and cargo is 220 kilograms.
- Unique rear-opening storage compartment allows access when rack is loaded.
- Constant-velocity-joint boot guards help prevent damage to boot covers.
- Keyed ignition switch for added security.
- Top-mounted choke lever for simple operation.
- Handlebar switches, controls, indicator lights and warning labels use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Standard tool kit includes a tyre pressure gauge.
- G.V.W.R. is 504 kilograms.
- Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
- Transferable 12-month warranty.
|Engine Type||499cc longitudinally mounted liquid-cooled dry-sump 4-stroke OHV singlecylinder|
|Bore x Stroke||92mmx 75mm|
|CompressionRatio||9.2 : 1|
|Ignition||Capacitor Discharge (CDI) with electronic advance|
|Starter||Electricwith auxiliary recoil|
|Transmission||Fully automatic hydro mechanical, continuously variable, withelectronic controls.|
|FinalDrive||Directfront and rear driveshafts with TraxLox and torque sensitive front differential|
|Seat Height (mm)||861|
|Ground Clearance (mm)||190|
|Fuel Capacity (litres)||15.8(including 3.3-litre reserve)|
|FrontTyre||AT25x 8 x 12|
|Rear Tyre||AT25x 10 x 12|
|FrontSuspension||Independent double-wishbone; 170mm travel|
|Rear Suspension||Dual-damper swingarm; 170mm travel|
|FrontBrakes||180mm dual hydraulic disc with single-piston calipers and sintered metal pads|
|Rear Brakes||180mm single sealed mechanical drum|